Finding Inspiration in: Summer Vegetables
Hi there! It’s Wednesday again, summer is flying by! How have you been? We’re on another quick trip back to [home] Ohio and it’s been great to kick back, watch some Olympics — and enjoy some family time. I love summer, but I always let out a big sigh of relief when Labor Day Weekend rolls around — and life slows down.
Today I wanted to share a great summer salad recipe with you: by combining veggies, protein and grains, it also happens to be a perfect running “recovery” dish as well!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green string beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked yellow wax beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red kidney beans (I prefer to use an organic Tri-Bean blend)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans or chick peas
- 1 large onion (I prefer red), sliced into 1/2-inch clivers
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- salt and lots of fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1 cup chopped green pepper (I used red and yellow)
- chopped fresh herbs, basil or mint (I prefer basil)
- Combine all of the beans and peppers in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients to make the dressing, and pour it over the beans.
- Toss until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight (a few hours will do). This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Cook 1 cup of Quinoa to package specifications, allow it to cool in the refrigerator before serving.